Moby Dick on Feb 20th Weekend

Welcome to all interested in snowshoeing or the Snowshoe Series!
marcy

Moby Dick on Feb 20th Weekend

Postby marcy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Is this event happening on this date. I see it on the schedule, but with no info.

edtrnews

Postby edtrnews » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Yes, the events are planned. I have updated the links off the schedule page with apps, directions, etc for Moby Dick as well as Hallockville and Moody Spring events (tonight). Sorry it took a while.

If anyone has time to check the links as well as the accuracy of the posted apps, etc.... please let me know if you find anything "wrong".

The reason for the delay is a combination of laziness on my part, as well as normally having to shift/juggle/move events from spot to spot and place to place through the season.... and I really only feel like posting things once, if possible. That and these events are all "day of entry" only.... which allows me to keep the cost very low

Thanks.....

Edzu
:wink:

Ross Krause

Postby Ross Krause » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 am

What's the Moby Dick course like?

-Ross
Ross Krause

dion

Postby dion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 am

White.

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 pm

The Course:
It's
Great
White
Whale of a course
Caballo said: "Easy, Smooth, Light, Fast."

edtrnews

Postby edtrnews » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

The plan for the Moby Dick route will be mostly single track (after allowing for everyone to spread out a bit on the road - hopefully less than 1/2 mile) as there are great trails on both sides of Rockwell Road (Northrup and WoodasonSpring Trails) up to Rounds Rock**

We will cross over Rockwell Road at the Rounds Rock trail and back down the opposite side from which we ascended.

In 2003, we went all the way to Jones Nose, but that would be close to a nine mile day, and not everyone will be agreeable to that distance. So we compromise, at about 6.7~~ Climb is steady.

off topic -- Ask Mr Dion about the year he was recovering from hernia surgery and I decided to run 28 miles up and over and back along Greylock on 9" x 30" good thunder snowshoes with him. We were out there 6.5 hrs and finished well into dark. Frozen.

**Farmer Jabez Rounds owned several hundred acres in this area during the early 1800s. Nestled among the hardwood forest is a small boreal spruce bog and blueberry barrens, unusual for southern New England. Along the trail are two scenic vistas and the remains of a 1948 plane wreck with a monument to the pilot who died there.

Hope this is agreeable, we will post a map etc next week after I get out there and see what direction and trails I can use. It's been 7 years......

edzu
:D

Return to “Snowshoes!”