Turner Trail snow shoe race distance?

Welcome to all interested in snowshoeing or the Snowshoe Series!
Darlene McCarthy

Turner Trail snow shoe race distance?

Postby Darlene McCarthy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:02 am

Does anyone know the actual race distance for this snow shoe race? The 2010 application says 6 miles, the schedule says 5 miles and one other place says 4.3. I have a couple friends who may want to try the race but want to know the actual distance before they commit to it. Thanks

edtrnews

Postby edtrnews » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi Darlene -

Last year it was determined to be about 4.3 miles, earlier this year Beth had 6 miles as the distance, and that was reported on the applications. While grabbing the map off the berkshiresports site, I noticed the 5 mile distance listed... so that is what I went with when I updated our schedule, other than changing out the app.

The earlier reported 6 miles was most likely an estimate, or accurate until we went through our permit request with the DCR. Once Beth and Brad met with the State DCR, there may have had to be changes in the route pattern, hence the 5 mile statement at their site.

I dont know any of this for certain, just guessing. I'll check with Beth and see.... thanks!!

ed

edtrnews

Postby edtrnews » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Also -- I found where the 4.3 mile remains, it is on the race page. I managed the change the distance on the schedule page last night, and unfortunately I did change the distance on the race page but I must not have ftp'd the new version up.

It wont be the last time I think I made all the correct changes, only to find that I didnt upload everything.... there are many pages to think about every time something changes. So, I can make that better this evening!!

Thanks for spotting that Darlene. It is one thing we can always use, a spare set of eyes to go over things like links, dates, times, distances on all the web pages etc. Try as we may, we are not always good at this html stuff :(

Lets hope for some snow -

ed

dion

Postby dion » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:46 pm

It wasn't 6 miles last year. It was about 4. Check the results and the times to get an idea of time, not distance, and see if they are up for that. It's uphill for the first half, then back down, which is generally easier than uphill both ways.

edtrnews

Postby edtrnews » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Beth confirmed Turners as 5 miles. Brad measured it. I think all web pages reflect the correct distance, will check the application.

ed

Return to “Snowshoes!”