Woodford 12/27

Welcome to all interested in snowshoeing or the Snowshoe Series!
Ken

Woodford 12/27

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

A note from rd Jack Quinn:

This week I am concentrating on making “I Love Woodford” happen. All supplies and permits are in place. A few pre-race entries have arrived, and tomorrow, Wednesday, I am heading to Brattleboro to pick up Gatoraid from Leader Beverages and 125 loaves of very, very good bread from the Vermont Bread Company. Each runner in the Woodford race is handed a loaf of bread after he / she crosses the finish line so if you’d like a loaf, come run. Monday was clear and cold in Woodford. I spent the daylight hours in the woods there, clipping brush and cutting downed trees that were blocking the 3 mile trail around Adams Reservoir. There are 12 to 15 inches of snow on the ground in the park with a hope of more cover to come. The race is on Sunday, December 27, starting at 10:30 at the entrance to Woodford State Park on Rte 9. Registration begins at 8:30 in the parking lot across the street. There will be signs pointing the way in. The registration area is on the north side of Rte 9, and is not visible from the street. Bob and Denise from Dion Snowshoes will be on hand to rent and sell racing snowshoes. Dion, located in North Bennington, is on the web at Dionsnowshoes.com . MAUHS’ Nordic Booster Club will be manning the registration station, dispensing food and drink after the race, checking in runners at the finish line under the leadership of John Pelton, and doing a trail sweep after the race to make sure we haven’t left any trail markers or snowshoers out in the woods. Incidentally, MAUHS, coached by Bruce Smith, won both the boys and the girls’ races at Prospect last Saturday, racing against Brattleboro, BBA, and Rutland. Six out of the first seven for the boys, and six in the top ten for the girls. AWESOME!!
Caballo said: "Easy, Smooth, Light, Fast."

tarothfuss

Weather

Postby tarothfuss » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:56 am

Is there any threat of the weather postponing/cancelling the race? It sounds like there's plenty of snow, but I can't tell if the threat of rain (or whatever comes our way) might cause issues (not that I'm a wimp or anything :)

Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm not affiliated with the race. I merely posted an email that RD Jack Quinn sent me. Can anyone else help?

Otherwise, my guess is there will be plenty of snow including today's. If you can drive there safely, will be a good day to snowshoe.

Also since the schedule is pretty full, rd's may not want to cancel.

May be too hard to reschedule.
Caballo said: "Easy, Smooth, Light, Fast."

turtleguy

Postby turtleguy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 pm

The last time Woodford had to be postponed Jack called the folks who'd pre-reg'd. At the very least I'm confident he'd get word to Ed so the message could be posted in the site... given that none of the above seems to have happened, I'm thinking all signs are good for Woodford being a go tomorrow.

Should be a fun morning regardless!

Jamie H.

Return to “Snowshoes!”