Mt. Toby Trail Race

Welcome to all in the Grand Tree trail race series and to the regional trail running community.
jagosto

Mt. Toby Trail Race

Postby jagosto » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm running the Mt. Toby race Sunday.

Could anyone give me any information about the course?

Thanks,

John

dion

Postby dion » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:34 am

It's not really trails, not really roads. It's a logging, Jeep, horse trail with rolling up/down to the dirt access road to the summit. fairly steep, rocky near the top. turn around and it's a quick trip back.

Rob Higley

Postby Rob Higley » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:27 am

As you might infer from Bob's description, it's an out-and-back course, fast by trail race standards. A lot of it is on fire roads, none is mud slogging or rock climbing. The hill to the fire tower is a nice climb, and the slope is just right on the downhill to let you fly back down it.
- Rob
"All you really need to know is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place."
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

jagosto

Postby jagosto » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for the information!!!

John

dion

Postby dion » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am

looks like you handled the course pretty well!

jagosto

Mt. Toby

Postby jagosto » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks again for the information. The race was alot of fun.
The last mile to the top was alot steeper then I figured.

I'm running Pisgah in a few weeks for the first time.(23k)

Any info on Pisgah would be great.

Thanks again,

John

dion

Postby dion » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 am

Pisgah is one of my favorites! It was my first trail race. It was 30k and every couple years they changed the course slightly and added a mile. I won it 9 times until the present (50k) course. It's very runnable but REAL trails. BUT...there are many times when ribbons get stolen by hikers, etc. I would advise carrying the map. It's a good safety net. I'm not familiar with all of the short course but it is basically the same beginning and end. The first 5 or so is very fast (some road onto wide trails). The summit area is fairly steep but not nasty. The last part is (in the 50k anyway) deceptively L O N G .
Advice: when you get there go out to where the last mile or so comes out of the woods. There is a long downhill on road, steep up, turn then very fast, turn and to the finish. This stretch can make or break you if you don't know it.
Very nice scenic forest and trails (almost as nice as Monroe). Lots of prizes and food after. I'll be at Josh or I'd be there.

jagosto

Postby jagosto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Bob,

Thanks again for the information. It's great to have a little information

about the race. You have been very helpfull.

When I ran Soapstone earlier this year, I knew that there was a hill in
the beginning. When I got to the hill I nearly had a heart attack.

Any little bit of information helps me, running the Grand Tree Series for the first time.

Thanks Again

John

Return to “Grand Tree Series”